The Ins + Outs of Protein Powder

Protein powder is something we’ve all probably tried, but whether we actually like it is another story. The world of protein supplements is just extremely confusing, isn’t it? From whey to plant-based to rice based to anything, it can be so confusing what the differences are + how they impact you + your health ++ your goals. 

Protein powder can be used for many different reasons, but the current recommendation for the amount of protein in someone diet amounts to 0.8 g/kg per day. In a 150 pound person, that is 55.04 grams of protein. 

Protein can come in many different forms, but here’s the two to check out:

  • Isolate — You’ve probably heard of whey isolate as it is a common form. Protein isolate is 90-95% protein, with the remaining 5% coming from carbs or fat. 
  • Concentrate — This one has anywhere between 70-75% protein with the rest being a form of carbs + fat. 

If you’re trying to get more protein for your buck, I would look into a form of isolate. If you wanted a few more macronutrients in your diet, a concentrate is the way to go. 

#1] WHEY

Whey protein comes from milk, though it is not high in lactose concentration [this isolate has VERY little]. Whey is good because it can be digested very quickly + the protein will go where it needs to go. Some studies have shown that whey-based proteins can help increase lean muscle mass, + help maintain muscle mass. It can also help ward off hunger. We love using Vanilla whey protein powder in these protein bites!

#2] “VEGAN”

There are many different types of protein powders that are considered “vegan.” There’s soy, rice, pea, + hemp proteins currently on the market. Each one has its own pros + cons, price ++ effects on our bodies. As of now, no vegan powder is considered to be “complete” since each one is lacking at least one important nutrient in your diet [so eating is good, too]! 

SOY // It can be a good supplement, but can impact your hormones negatively. Though, soy protein remains popular because it can reduce the risk of heart disease + other cardiovascular issues.  

HEMP // This protein is arguably the most expensive, but is good for those with allergies to other types + can have ~12g in a scoop! It does contain the majority of amino acids within it too, but not all of them + is therefore not considered to be “complete.” 

RICE // This protein comes from… rice! It’s not as great for building muscle mass, but might be a good type for those needing just a little bit more protein in their diet, + want to get it from a well respected plant. 

PEA // This protein is safe for those that have tummy issues with whey based or egg based proteins. Entirely gluten free + fat free, this is a good option for those that want the same amount of protein that’s in whey protein, + want to avoid discomfort that comes with other powders. 

#3] EGG PROTEIN

A form of protein that is gaining more traction, egg protein has not been well studied, but has been shown to be similar to whey protein in how it responds to the body. However, egg protein might not be as good at helping you feel full because it’s often made from egg whites [no yolk]. Overall, it’s still a good protein source. 

If you find a protein that works for you + your goals — stick with it + adjust when your goals change! 

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment