Give Your Lips Some Lovin’
We are always looking for the best ways to take care of our body, inside + out. This includes taking care of our largest organ — skin! We often neglect the skin on our lips, as we are gifted various lip balms + simply use whatever stick we are given. However, there are some serious dangers in these tiny sticks! Here is a guide to help you avoid these dangers + choose the best lip balm during these cold months!
WHAT TO LOOK FOR
Like all things going on or in your body, the fewer ingredients the better! An easy thing to look out for is natural ingredients [listing plants, rather than scary *oxides* + other chemical sounding names], including essential oils. Looking for *100% Natural* + *Fair Trade Products* are also good labels to look for at first glance.
WHAT TO AVOID
There is a litany of products that are known to be harmful to our body. Here is a list of harmful ingredients specifically regarding lip balms:
- Including benzylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben, methylparaben, ethylparaben, + isobutylparaben
- Parabens are the number one ingredient to avoid! They’re widely used in skin care products + have been found in breast cancer tumors although the science is still in progress
- Commonly disguised as *fragrance*
- These are hormone disruptors linked to reproductive issues. *Fragrance* can actually be thousands of different ingredients, as companies do not have to disclose what exactly is in their *fragrances*
- …which are usually made from coal tar!
- Artificial colors leave heavy metal residue on your lips, which is a potential carcinogen
- Including petrolatum, xylene, toluene, mineral oil, + liquid paraffin
- This is the same product that is used in your vehicle for motor oil! Again, it is a potential carcinogen. The government, via the Environmental Protection Agency [EPA],directly warns against this ingredient
A reliable source outside of the government domain, the Environmental Working Group [EWG] also supplies a detailed list of chemicals to avoid!
BRANDS TO BUY
These brands do not include any of the chemicals listed above, + have five or less ingredients in them. These are all available online + usually at Target ranging from $2 – $3 a stick.
THE IN-BETWEEN BRANDS
These brands also do not include any of the chemicals listed above, but they have more ingredients [13, 9, + 19, respectively]. These are also available online or just about any store, ranging from $1.69 – $3.30 a stick.
BRANDS TO AVOID
For various ingredient reasons, listed below, these products should be avoided:
- Chapstick [contains phthalates, petroleum, artificial color + two different parabens!]
- Blistex [contains petroleum + artificial color]
- Glossier [contains petroleum]
RECS FROM THE CHAARG COMMUNITY
- Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Lip Balm
- Dr. Bronner’s Unscented
- Burt’s Bees Peppermint
- Nivea Raspberry Rose Lip Butter
Give a less harmful brand a try this winter, + share your experience on your CHAARG Instagram! Looking for skin care help beyond the lips? Check out this post!