Wheatgrass. You’ve heard of it. That dark green liquefied leafy substance that every health-nut + their mother is talking about, praising, + drinking religiously. The habitual consumption of wheatgrass isn’t without merit. Wheatgrass is incredible. ++ when I say incredible, I’m in no way referring to the taste, which is far from anything that resembles *incredible.* It’s more of a sweet sort of disgusting. It’s growing popularity + following, despite it’s unbearable taste, though, is a true testament to how real the benefits are. Regardless of how repelling the flavor, people are putting down the coffee beans + starting their day out with a shot.
Why? Well, like I said, wheatgrass yields a plethora of benefits as a result of a wide variety of natural ingredients found in the grass. The first widely recorded study of it was by a doctor in the 1930s, who discovered it’s high chlorophyll content after feeding it to his children in powder form + recorded improvements in their overall health. A high chlorophyll level [of up to 70 percent!] is the main factor why so many people love their wheatgrass. Along with its high levels of chlorophyll, wheatgrass is jam-packed with vitamins A, B, C, + K, and rich in protein.
- Contains super-oxide dismutase, an enzyme that breaks down super-oxide radicals within the body into a more manageable form, therefore slowing down the aging process
- Is antibacterial + can be used as a natural remedy
- Can, it its liquid form, enter into tissue + restore cells internally
- Is the closest in molecular make-up to the hemin molecule, the molecule in our body that combines with protein to form hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a protein molecule in red blood cells that transfers oxygen from our lungs to our tissues
- Contains antioxidant properties that prevents cellular damage by neutralizing radicals in the body
- Moisturizes skin, eye, + mucous membranes by helping to produce collagen
VITAMIN B COMPLEX
- Helps to convert food to energy
- Contains all eight vitamin Bs that have various benefits
- Seen as a key protection agent against cardiovascular disease
- Reduces cellular DNA damage by neutralizing radicals
- Reduces inflammatory changes within the body which in turn reduces malignant cell growth
- Shortens the duration of common colds
- Helps maintain healthy blood-clotting
- Difficult to find + benefits often overlooked
- Deficiency of can be related to arterial calcification, dementia, various cancers + infectious diseases
In addition to the vitamins above, wheatgrass has been found to contain over 100 elements that the body needs, + absorbs 92 of the 115 minerals from soil. Containing all of the above powerhouse nutrients essential for various aspects of your health, wheatgrass is a healer, preventative, an energy boost all in one.
Wheatgrass can be taken in powder, capsule, or liquid form + can be found at a majority of health foods + natural juice stores. We love Trader Joe’s Very Green Drink Powder or taking a Wheatgrass Shot from Jamba Juice! It’s recommended you take wheatgrass on an empty stomach, waiting approximately 30 minutes before eating a full meal. Need even more reasons to drink wheatgrass? Here’s 50.
+ Mariah [@mariah_inchaarg] + Andrea [@andreak_inchaarg], DePaul CHAARG