Ahh, a new year is almost upon us, naturally presenting us with the opportunity to start fresh. Now’s the time when we hear about our peers + fellow CHAARGies setting the bar high for 2016 — the motivation is most definitely contagious ; ). Whether it be setting a PR at your next race, trying a new workout, or picking up a new healthy habit, you are determined to make this year even better than 2015… right?
Setting goals is absolutely an important component for personal growth, but may be more easily said than done! Too many times have we made a resolution that we *promise* to stick with + end up not following through. We’re determined to make 2016 different [really, though] + there’s a slight shift that can make all the difference — before diving into your goal setting, create a personal theme for 2016.
What does it mean to create a *personal theme* for the year? Simply put, themes are overarching ideas that we choose to live by. In 2015, our theme for CHAARG was the #YearOfTheBolt, + we established several goals during 2015 [reach 5,000 members // grow Team CHAARG // etc.] to truly make 2015 the #YearOfTheBolt. We may not have accomplished all of our *original* goals, but we still saw amazing things in 2015, ++ even hit some unexpected milestones along the way [aka CHAARG snaps ; )].
We encourage you to first choose your own theme for 2016, then establish + tailor your goals to fulfill that theme. Here are some *themes* that we feel inspired by for 2016…
Over the course of one year [especially during the holidays!], it’s almost a given that we will acquire *all the things* + suddenly find it difficult to close our dresser drawers, lose food at the back of our fridge, + have a shampoo *graveyard* living in our shower. Not this year. Set an intention to simplify your life in several different areas — whether it be a simple daily task or a long-term project, make this year about minimizing. Here are some of our goals to help us #simplify in 2016:
- Donate one clothing item for every new piece you purchase
- Eliminate any activities or people that bring negativity in your life
LIVE WELL //
Since each of our situations, backgrounds + dreams are so unique, living well looks different for everyone. Whatever *living well* means to you, do it! Picture your ideal life + go for it. Here are some ways you can #livewell in 2016 —
- Allow yourself to work hard + play harder
- Keep a journal
- Put yourself + your health first
CHANGE YOUR MINDSET //
Often times, our New Year’s resolutions are focused on fixing something we consider to be a *problem* about ourselves [especially physically]. Once said *problem* is fixed, we’ll feel better… right? Unfortunately, it’s usually not that simple. Rather than focusing on *fixing* the problem, focus on shifting your mindset + taking a different perspective. Here are some ways you can shift your thinking —
- Didn’t get an internship you were hoping to land? Think about all the other amazing opportunities out there, instead of the one opportunity that didn’t work out.
- Unhappy with the number on the scale? Instead of shaming yourself for the number, think about what makes your body feel its best + implement those practices more.
- Having trouble making it through a run without taking breaks? Acknowledge your strength for getting out there in the first place + honor your body’s needs.
BE TRANSPARENT //
To be transparent is to be open, honest + intentional with your words + actions. We’re all guilty of holding back our true feelings, or keeping our opinions to ourselves to prevent any criticism we may receive. It doesn’t have to be that way! Instead, when we are confident in our opinions + acknowledge the validity in our feelings, we are more truthful to ourselves + to the world around us. Here are a few ways to practice transparency in 2016 —
- Say no when you really don’t want to do something
- Practice verbalizing one thought//feeling you would normally hold back once per day
- Share your journey//experience with others [you may change their life!]
STAY COMFORTABLY UNCOMFORTABLE//
We are too young to be *too* comfortable, to accept normality, to not push boundaries. Change + growth happen in the most uncomfortable of times. ++ Maybe in the moment things don’t feel right, but once it passes, we often come out a better version of ourselves on the other side. This may be the most challenging theme yet, but we encourage you to commit to staying *comfortably uncomfortable* this year. What challenges you most? Here are some things we vow to accomplish in 2016 —
- Fail forward. Fail with grace, get back up + move on. Failure happens, it’s time to learn to embrace it.
- Try at least one new thing every month [food // workout class // club // etc.] The unfamiliarity will put you out of your comfort zone, but teach you something you otherwise may have never learned!
- Take a digital detox + re-learn life before the iPhone. It’s not as easy as you may think!
Whatever your themes may be for 2016, we hope they are true to you, + we look forward to seeing you grow with CHAARG in 2016. Expect even BIGGER things from us this year — we’ll do the same for you ; )
+xo Natalie, VirtCHAARG // Grand Rapids